Put simply, I'm an enthusiastic programmer. I'm most engaged by deep engineering problems, complex system design, and iterating on fit-and-finish for the best user experience.
I've been in the software industry for quite a while now (since the summer of 2008) and my role in development has slowly evolved from a core contributor to more high-level problem solving, architecture, and design reviews.
As of September 2018, I have transitioned with the Ringtail development team to the fold of Nuix. It is nice to work in a software company again, as I've finally been able to say goodbye to hourly time reporting! In all seriousness, though, Nuix is positioned to make major headway in the eDiscovery market as the only fully-integrated suite of tools that can handle the entire EDRM workflow.
I'm looking forward to solving all of the new challenges this opportunity will provide!
Looking back, I realize that I've worked on a ton of things over the years! Here are a few of the recent highlights I can share.
- UI Extension Framework - I've had the honor of designing and building out significant chunks of Ringtail's extension framework. This link is to the public SDK and documentation.
- XLerator extension for Ringtail - I worked with Evolver team to define requirements, design, and build out Ringtail's integration with this native Excel file redaction tool. This is a fantastic product to help speed review of spreadsheets and a serious 3rd party integration.
- Zero-Downtime Deployments - Though this is not a sexy feature and is barely mentioned in release notes, I nevertheless greatly enjoyed re-architecting how Ringtail's web applications are versioned and installed to support side-by-side deployments for upgrades whithout downtime. This project involved a lot of WiX, PowerShell, and IIS.
- Conditional Coding - I worked on the 40+ design iterations, prototypes, and final implementation for this core feature in Ringtail's document review UI that provides administrators with the ability to specify relationships between coding fields, with many usability affordances. Here's an overview video, skip to 1:18 for Conditional Coding.
- Document Workspace - Though this was started as a weekend project to improve the workspace layout usability, customizability, and code quality, it quickly turned into a significant enhancement to the Ringtail UI once I demoed it to stakeholders.
- Sew Many Visions - I built and operate this e-commerce site where my mom sells beautiful quilt patterns. This was a fun project that provided numerous opportunities for me to exercise my visual design and user experience skills. It is built on Mithril.
- StudentTracker - This is a pro-bono web app I created to help a local Kumon center track student and employee hours. It is a single-page app build on Angular and uses Firebase for live, cross-browser synchronization.